internetworkers - [internetworkers] Time to call about H.129 again . . .

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Time to call about H.129 again . . .
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:43:27 -0400

Hello, INWers! A lot has happened since you last heard from me.

Rep. Avila's broken broadband bill known as the "Level Playing Field" or H.129 was passed by the NC House by a vote of 81-37. Some exemptions for existing systems (like the ones in Wilson and Salisbury) were added but other restrictions remain.

The bill now goes before the NC Senate's Finance Committee on Wednesday, April 18th at 1 PM. It will be "for discussion only," so no vote will take place. A vote will be a week later at its earliest.

Our calls are having an effect! Please take two minutes to call our Senators and tell them that the "Level Playing Field" bill perpetuates a Time Warner Cable monopoly and effectively blocks our communities (particularly rural ones) from filling in the gaps. If you're shy, just call after hours and leave a voicemail - it's easy!

Wake:
Sen. Dan Blue (D) - 733-5752
Sen. Neal Hunt (R) - 733-5850
Sen. Josh Stein (D) - 715-6400
Sen. Richard Stevens (R) - 733-5653

Durham/Chatham:
Sen. Bob Atwater (D) - 715-3036
Sen. Floyd McKissick (D) - 733-4599

Orange:
Sen. Ellie Kinnaird (D) - 733-5804

If you're feeling especially froggy, you can contact the rest of the Finance members here!
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/Committees/Committees.asp?sAction=ViewCommittee&sActionDetails=Senate+Standing_77

Most folks support broadband choice. Don't let the big telco special interests take this away from you! And thanks, as always, for all of your calls and help!

Cheers,
Mark