internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] seeking online course design and delivery guidance

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Cristóbal Palmer <cmp AT cmpalmer.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] seeking online course design and delivery guidance
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:41:05 -0500

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 11:25 AM, christian stalberg <cstalberg AT web-analysts.net> wrote:
Seeking referral to best guidebook(s) and/or website(s) for
online course design and delivery. This would be for teaching
engineers and architects how to use an application software
package btw.

Online only? Blended face-to-face and online? Sadly much of the highly-cited or well-regarded stuff is going to be too theoretical and/or pretty outdated on the details. As an example, google scholar likes these:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/y83u113l5t11n891/
http://ascilite.org.au/ajet/ajet13/brown.html

That said, there are some promising-looking things in UNC's catalog:

http://search.lib.unc.edu/search?R=UNCb6353632

More general searches:

Distance education:
http://search.lib.unc.edu/search?Ntt=distance+education&Ntk=Subject&Nty=1&sugg=s
Blended learning:
http://search.lib.unc.edu/search?Ntt=blended+learning&Ntk=Subject&Nty=1&sugg=s

As far as tools you could use to help you structure the course.... Sakai is a "Collaborative Learning Environment" (read: a framework with a bunch of apps like online assignment submission, forum, grading tool, etc.) with plenty of hosted options (eg. rSmart, Unicon), and Moodle is another such framework.*

You might also look at resources published by the Teaching and Learning unit within ITS and the Center for Faculty Excellence. Respectively:

http://its.unc.edu/TeachingAndLearning/index.htm
http://cfe.unc.edu/e-learning/index.html

Hope that was helpful.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal Palmer
Systems Administrator

* I did my Masters Paper on Sakai, so I have a bias. :)