internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Encrypted Flash Drives

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Cristóbal Palmer <cmp AT cmpalmer.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Encrypted Flash Drives
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 11:34:01 -0400

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 8:20 AM, <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm getting some questions at work on the advisability of our staff using
> encrypted flash drives.

Colleen,

I wouldn't trust a physical device (such as a flash drive) sold
explicitly on the premise that it will keep your data secure. You
should instead evaluate software (such as Truecrypt, which John linked
to) that will work with any storage media. You can then deploy a
configuration of that software in combination with the hardware (USB
drive) of your choice.

I would also suggest that you evaluate why it is you've got employees
putting sensitive data, data that needs to be encrypted, on USB flash
drives.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer