internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Hijacked email protection

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: John Broome <jbroome AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Hijacked email protection
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 11:31:48 -0400

On Sep 30, 2010, at 9:41, Jeanne Moyer <jeanne.moyer AT gmail.com> wrote:

> Many of my friends and contacts have had their email addresses hijacked
> lately. Seems more hotmai than any otherl, only one gmail so far. What
> should I be doing to protect my computer other than the obvious?

The thing about email is there's nothing to prevent me from sending
mail that looks like it's from you to everyone in the world
advertising boner pills.

The from: can be easily spoofed.

If it's a cracked password on their account and someone is spamming
the address book that can be fixed with a PW change to something other
than their cats name.