internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] How much should mold removal cost? Any experiences?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: donbartholf AT aol.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] How much should mold removal cost? Any experiences?
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 22:15:09 -0400

Did you get an answer?
True mold abatement ( of the real nasty stuff)  is very expensive.$3-4/sqft.  They sand off the mold using HEPA vacuums whilst wearing tyvek suits and respirators. The mold needs the humidity to establish itself in the first place. No matter what kind of mold is there, you need to address that. Dehumidifiy the area and the mold dries up. If its not toxic mold,  drying it up does the trick. I also wipe jois s down with clorox and set up a ozone generator.

I've done several sealed crawl spaces. It is not as weird of a sideline for an electrical contractor / consultant as you might think.

Runs about $1 a square foot for the plastic on the ground, the vent sealing, the duct sealing plus the dehumdifier and circuit for it. Made a big difference to the families in better health and reduction of allergies. It really did. All of spaces had leaks in their ducts and clogged filters which was part of their problem as well. An underspace where splunking skills are required takes more time and the cost gets an adder.

Don Bartholf
American Electric Service.