internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] SOHO Firewall appliances

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] SOHO Firewall appliances
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:31:19 -0400

I went through this selection process recently and decided on a
ZoneAlarm Z100G. It has all the goodies of a Check Point firewall,
but for $149. The catch is the annual services subscription. (First
year of services is included in purchase price). The device will not
stop working, and all core functions will continue to work after
subscription runs out. But if you want it to keep filtering spam,
viruses, etc (and getting new updates for these features), then you'll
have to pony up ~$70/year after the first year.
http://www.zonealarm.com/z100g

After running it for several months, I have to say "This device is
really cool." If you are technical in nature, it is fairly easy to
understand. Comes with good documentation and some support from the
vendor. One of my favorite features is the weekly security report it
mails to me to inform me of all the bad stuff it kept out. I have
been very happy with this device thus far. YMMV.

David M.