internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Digital UNC-TV is MIA

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <jmarkturner AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Digital UNC-TV is MIA
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:53:18 -0400

Tarus Balog wrote:

Rescanned and it worked fine for me - all 5 UNC subchannels.

But then again, I can see the tower from my house ...

Looks like a technical problem. From the UNC-TV website:

- SPECIAL NOTICE -

As part of the final transition from analog to digital broadcast television required by the Federal Communications Commission, WUNC-TV – Chapel Hill permanently turned off its channel 4 transmitter located in northern Chatham county at midnight on June 12, 2009.

WUNC-TV also changed it digital broadcast transmission from channel 59 to channel 25. This requires that tuners in digital TV sets and converter boxes be re-scanned to allow them to acquire WUNC-TV (digital) on its new operating channel. It will still appear as 4.1, 4.2, etc when tuning TV sets and converter boxes.

During this transitory stage WUNC-TV digital channel 25 is operating at significantly lower power than the previous channel 59.

Equipment is currently being moved from other transmitter sites to allow the final operating power of WUNC-TV to be greater than it previously was. Antenna and transmission work is also being done on the WUNC-TV tower that will improve transmission power and antenna coverage.

An interim improvement in signal strength is expected within the week with full operating power being achieved by late summer.

Thank you for your patience as we address this problem.

--
Mark Turner
www.markturner.net