internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Trojan Vnduo

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Chilcote <scottchilcote AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Trojan Vnduo
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 19:54:54 -0400

Hello Jeanne,

After a check using google, I don't see any matches on Trojan Vnduo. I do see some for "trojan vundo" however. For example:

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2004-112210-3747-99
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-vundo-virtumonde
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-remove-Trojan-Vundo-Virus-from-infected-computers

Is the name correct?

Sorry, I haven't had to delete that virus. But some of the online help pages look encouraging, especially Symantec's.

Best of luck,

Scott C.

Jeanne Moyer wrote:
Anyone have any experience really getting rid of this pesky virus?

I used Malware and the messages indicate it it quarantined and deleted successfully but I'm still getting hijacked.

The symptoms are

* redirected from a Google search to a similar but not the right website
* losing connection to Mozilla or IE. Either browser IE or Mozilla
does a hard shutdown and the usual message appears asking if I'd
like to notify Microsoft about the problem
* HKEY-_LOCAL disabled security center

Any ideas of what to use? I'm running XP Pro with an aging system that I'm getting ready to replace. Want to be sure I am not propagating problems when I move the data. I have 1 meg of RAM and 40 GB hard drive with 5 GB free space.

Thanks so much for any advice or experience you can share.

--
Jeanne Moyer