internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] RFP for free wifi network, downtown Raleigh

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] RFP for free wifi network, downtown Raleigh
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 00:04:06 -0400

On Mar 24, 2009, at 10:20 PM, Shea Tisdale wrote:

The downtown Raleigh wifi network was a topic of discussion this morning on WPTF 680 during the morning drive-time show.  The consensus of the host and the public seemed to be that the $180,000 it will cost is not worth the benefit and that if there was a need a private solution would already exist.

I was disappointed to hear the opinions that made the air while I was listening.

My main concern with public wifi by municipalities is mainly that wifi wasn't designed for areas larger than a small office.  If there was a technology that could blanket downtown Raleigh I'd be for it, but trying to squeeze wifi into something that will provide public coverage over such a large area seems unrealistic.  Sure, you can do it, but it seems to be the wrong technology to back for public funding.

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC

We thrive in information—thick worlds because of our marvelous and everyday capacity to select, edit, single out, structure, highlight, group, pair, merge, harmonize, synthesize, focus, organize, condense, reduce, boil down, choose, categorize, catalog, classify, list, abstract, scan, look into, idealize, isolate,  discriminate, distinguish, screen, pigeonhole, pick over, sort,  integrate, blend, inspect, filter, lump, skip, smooth, chunk, average, approximate, cluster, aggregate, outline, summarize, itemize, review, dip into, flip through, browse, glance into, leaf through, skim, refine, enumerate, glean, synopsize, winnow the wheat from the chaff and separate the sheep from the goats. -- Tufte