internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] ooops - data recovery needed

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott G. Hall" <ScottGHall AT BellSouth.Net>
  • To: Internetworkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] ooops - data recovery needed
  • Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:28:28 -0400

If you are running a MS-Windows version, you could always use a program
called "Zero Assumption Recovery" that tries very hard to recover
picture and MP3 files from a device or filesystem.  Just remember to
set its options like you have reformatted a disc and need to recover
any files it may contain.

You can find the program at: http://www.z-a-recovery.com/

See my previous message about making an image copy in case things go
haywire.

SB wrote:
I've been handed a CD-RW data recover problem. Since I don't know much about this particular area I'd really appreciate suggestions on the best way to tackle it. Here's what I know so far:

- The CD-RW in question contained family photos they'd rather not lose

- One of the family used the CD-RW thinking it was empty, and burned a small set of new photos to it.

- The CD burning software *did* warn that the existing files would "no longer be accessible via Windows explorer"
 (note: maybe implying they might be accessible by some other means?)

- Convinced there wasn't 'really' anything on the CD-RW, they went ahead - now all they can see is the new files  :)
--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA