internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Recommendations for E-Commerce Carts and Hosts

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Recommendations for E-Commerce Carts and Hosts
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:58:47 -0400

On Sep 14, 2008, at 3:07 PM, Susan LaBarre wrote:

Hi All,

I have a client who wants to migrate away from a Yahoo store to a more customizable e-commerce cart. The Yahoo layouts are too tight and don't allow for custom resizing of product images, etc. I've been using Go Daddy for most of my clients and PayPal for most of my e-commerce, but this client sells thousands of products and has a brick and mortar store as well, so a few PayPal buttons are not going to cut it. She needs the 'specials' and 'volumen discounting' options available in dedicated cart applications.

There doesn't seem to be a preeminent shopping cart package, as all of the online shopping places I like are hand-coded.  We (webperformance.com) use Shopsite. Customizing the look is a royal pain with their proprietary template system, but it can be done.

Michael Czeiszperger
Chapel Hill, NC

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." ~G.K. Chesterton