internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] how far have you extended Wifi networks?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Greg Brown" <gwbrown1 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] how far have you extended Wifi networks?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 14:13:51 -0400

Can you get an overhead shot using google maps?  That would help in determining if this could be done.  My gut feeling says, yeah, absolutely, this is possible.  I've shot a signal well over a mile using a legal combination of amplification and gain antennas.

My only question is this: do you have any window where you can get a line-of-sight to the general store?  If not things get trickier, but nothing too complicated.  I'd amp the bejeebus on the store side and use a yagi with some decent gain and I'd hook everything up with low-loss LMR-400 cable.  On the school end I'd use decent gain antenna, perhaps a yagi, perhaps a parabolic dish, it depends on the signal strength.  Then you could run WPA2 or IPSEC across the link, depends on what floats your boat.  Run everything over the least congested channel that you can (1, 6 or 11 or 14 if you want to live life on the edge a a law-breaker (I don't suggest it, really)).

Off the top of my head that's where I'd start.