internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] the day the earth stood still

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] the day the earth stood still
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 12:32:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, Ian Meyer wrote:

with keanu reeves as klaatu.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/thedaytheearthstoodstill/

...heard about this a while back, definitely doesn't look as good as
the original, but I have a feeling I'll still see it a bunch of times.

My favorite advance remark I have seen about the film paraphrased the oft-quoted "Klaatu Nikto Barada" line from the original film into "Keanu HELL NO Barada" :), or something close to that.

Having a soft spot for the original, partly for its prominent use of the theremin in the film score [1] [2], it might be expected that I might be leading the picket line march warning people away from the film [3].

I plan to see this film but to consider it as a new film that has some minor to the point of tangential or accidental resemblance in name, plot points, or possibly characterization to a previously-existing work, in much the same way I considered a previous Keanu-starring film _Constantine_ as almost completely irrelevant to the _Hellblazer_ graphic novels.

Steve B

[1] http://www.thereminvox.com/article/articleview/90/1/17/
[2] http://www.avclub.com/content/node/51887 - #4 in the article
[3] Only ever seen two films with active picketing going on, and I was there to see and not protest the films on both occasions. I got yelled at, but they let me through.