internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Thermostat control gadgets?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Thermostat control gadgets?
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:52:27 -0400

Mark Turner wrote:
Yes, automated thermostats are great!

I'll second that, with some comments.

AFAICT, these are pretty much universal. The model I bought described a couple of different wiring setups that it supported, but indicated that one was by far the most common. It's basically a couple of screws and four wires.

Your old thermostat probably contains mercury. Please dispose properly.

The UI on these things is pretty darn rudimentary, and not also very friendly, but it's generally easy enough to figure out. The seven day feature is nice. The model I bought also has a very handy override button labeled simply "Home Today". That reverts your energy saver, away at work, daytime settings back to the baseline for the extent of the day. My wife works at home on a somewhat irregular schedule, and wouldn't want to have to learn to operate this thing, so this feature was really good for us.

No, I don't recall the brand or model.

Have fun.

--rt