internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] DVD Recorder Advice

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sarah Ovenall <sovenall AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] DVD Recorder Advice
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:27:44 -0400

Hi Calvin, my DVD burner works as you describe, although I think it might plug into the TV rather than the DVR. I'm too lazy to walk into the next room and look at the back of it. Mine definitely does not have USB. You can remove a DVD without finalizing it, but it won't play on any other device until you finalize the disc.

I've never heard that rumor about some shows refusing to record, and I've never had that problem. It records whatever is playing -- if I fast-forward commercials to make more shows fit, the recording includes the fast-forward bar from the DVR and etc. I mainly use it to get a show from the DVR to my computer, so I can take screen caps or make mp3s of songs I like from movies. --Sarah

Internetworkers,

I need your advice on buying a DVD recorder. Ever since I got digital cable and the groovy hidef channels my DVR has been filling up with shows that I now want to keep. Notably Dr. Who and Torchwood.

My father has a dvd recording device that seems to fit the bill. It has composite/RCA video and audio inputs, a super-video input and one other type of input that escapes me. Possibly a USB based file input. I hooked it up to my DVR and as able to reocrde an episode of scrubs I'd stored on the DVR. It cannot do anything fancy. You just play the video to the inputs and hit the reocrd button. It will let you store more than one video clip on a DVD and then when youre don,e you click the finish button and it finalizes the DVD and builds a very rudimentary menu page for the clips.
I'm tempted to just run out and get one of these because it seemend to work. But I have heard that there are some shows that embed asignal in them tha tells devices like this to refuse to record. Don't know if that is true or just an urban legend. Any ideas?

What do you use to get shows from a DVR to a burned DVD?

Calvin