internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Comparing CMS offerings from DreamHost

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Lundgren <internetworkers AT capitalfellow.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Comparing CMS offerings from DreamHost
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:48:49 -0500

moodle
my understand is that it is more of a Course Management System for online/distance education projects than Content Management System for web building

mediawiki
please don't use this. I find wiki's are great for documentation, suckage for a website where layout matters

joomla
I recommend joomla for your project. one of the 2 main OSS CMS systems (besides Drupal) used on our campus. Drupal excels at multi- users editing content, Joomla at single user, both have large active communities (drupal's may be slightly larger and more developer oriented leading to a steeper learning curve of the two) but both have flexible architectures that have fostered large plug-in development to add functionalities and integrations you may need. If you have a list of those functionalities/needs that you must have I would review that against the both communities available components/ plug-ins because the experiences I've seen on campus is that a plug- in/component may exist for one project but not the other.

pligg
I have no knowledge or experience of it.

$0.02,
SL

Hello InterNetWorkers --

I am looking at installing one of the CMS products offered by
DreamHost in the nifty "One-Click Installs" section of their online
control panel. I know tiny bits-n-pieces about three of these
products (mostly read/overheard in prior CMS conversations), but would
like to query the expert advice of this list.

Have you used any of these products? In your opinion, what are the
relative merits and/or weaknesses of these products? Any other advice
for a novice site builder?

http://www.pligg.com/ - This one I've never heard of before.
http://moodle.org/ - Geared towards EDU environments I understand.
http://www.joomla.org/ - This one seems to be the most popular.