internetworkers - [internetworkers] Hardware RAID cards

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott" <catfather AT donpoo.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Hardware RAID cards
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:41:30 -0400

So, I'm getting around to building a largish home server and need advice
on hardware RAID cards. The box will be Linux CentOS-5 based and have 6
x WD SE16 750GB drives for data with a separate disk for the OS. I'm
looking for a card that is true-hardware RAID (Not Linux 'fakeraid'),
supports PCIE, and up to 8 SATA II drives.

My first through was to go with 3ware and pick up the 9650SE-8LPML. At
$520.00 I have to ask, is this card _really_ worth it? Does anyone have
any experience with other hardware RAID cards from Promise or LSI? I
couldn't find any reviews of RAID cards, oddly enough. Pointers welcome.

--
Scott <bluecamel AT imap.cc>