internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Desktop printer recommendations?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Desktop printer recommendations?
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 16:34:21 -0400

Lance A. Brown wrote:

How far does a toner cartridge go? At $62.99 that's a hefty chunk of
the original purchase price. The drum unit, if/when you need to replace
it is $104.99. These are Office Depot prices, which can probably be beat.

I don't remember the exact figures. Not sure that it's so much cheaper than the other consumer B&W lasers, but it's definitely a bargain vs. the color ink jets. And both of these types are subject to the odd business models of the printer makers, which makes its profits from the sales of toner and ink.

IIRC, the printer comes with a starter cartridge good for maybe 1,500 pages. Replacement full cartridges (2,500 pages) seemed to be priced around $45 name brand, $30 off brand. I think they also make a high capacity cart (6,000 pages/$65).

I do remember doing a quick bit of math and found the cost per page was maybe 1/4 to 1/3 that of an ink jet. And the B&W text copy is so much better w/ a laser. As little as I use it, the original cartridge might well outlast my ownership of the printer, and the drum unit almost certainly so.