internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] John W. Backus, 82, Fortran Developer, Dies

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Cristóbal Palmer" <cristobalpalmer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] John W. Backus, 82, Fortran Developer, Dies
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 23:41:20 -0400

it's getting harder for publishers to write good headlines, since they
really want their headline to be the one that comes up when people
enter a search, but people put nouns in searches, not verbs, and the
journalism types were taught in school to write "action" headlines.

Heard Paul Jones talking about this. I'm probably not paraphrasing
terribly well.

Cheers,
CMP

On 3/23/07, Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org> wrote:

On Mar 23, 2007, at 6:25 PM, Jim Cook wrote:

> John W. Backus, who assembled and led the I.B.M. team that created
> Fortran, the first widely used programming language, which helped open
> the door to modern computing, died on Saturday at his home in Ashland,
> Ore. He was 82.

The NYT Headlines was worded strangely:

John W. Backus, 82, Fortran Developer, Dies - New York Times

_________
"Kindness knows no shame" -- S. Wonder
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

Cristóbal M. Palmer
http://claimid.com/cristobalpalmer
TriLUG Vice Chair