internetworkers - [internetworkers] Dangerous roads/intersections for snow & ice

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Dangerous roads/intersections for snow & ice
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:10:59 -0500

<http://www.newsobserver.com/125/story/538298.html>

The News & Observer asked law enforcement agencies to list areas that tend to be particularly dangerous when there's snow or ice on the road. Here's what some of them had to say:

STATE HIGHWAY PATROL
* U.S. 401 South toward Fuquay-Varina
* N.C. 50
* N.C. 98
* I-40 near Durham County line
* U.S. 70 near Johnston County line
* I-85
* I-540, on bridges and near Six Forks Road and U.S. 70
Or just list all highways, 1st Sgt. Steve Greene says. "It's the speed," he says. "They're going too fast for conditions." If you must go out today, "just slow down," Greene says.

RALEIGH POLICE
* Duraleigh Road (steep grades on each side of a creek)
* Durant Road near Capital Boulevard (curve that drivers often take too fast)
* Avent Ferry Road
* Curves and hills on Wade Avenue
* Curves and hills on Falls of the Neuse where it crosses Neuse River

WAKE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
* U.S. 401 South near Buffaloe Lanes (hill and curve near bowling alley)
* Nance Hill on N.C. 50 near Rand Road south of Garner
* U.S. 70 east of Garner near TV towers (hill tends to get icy)
* U.S. 64 near Neuse River

CHAPEL HILL POLICE
* Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard near the police station and Hillsborough Street
* East Franklin Street from Roosevelt Drive to Estes Drive
* U.S. 15-501 between Oteys Road (behind Dean Smith Center) and Manning Drive
"People go right through that intersection, and there's always something coming," Sgt. Jack Perry says of the last spot. "We have lots of wrecks there."
All three spots involve hills.

CARRBORO POLICE
* South Greensboro Street (big hill just north of N.C. 54 overpass)

DURHAM POLICE
* Overpass entrance ramps to U.S 15-501 from Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard and to Durham Freeway at 15-501 (in addition to major highways and bridges)
* Hills on Roxboro and Mangum streets

JOHNSTON COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
* I-40 west of I-95 (western half of county tends to get more snow)
* U.S. 70 through Clayton
* Covered Bridge Road north of Clayton

(COMPILED BY ROGER VAN DER HORST)

  • [internetworkers] Dangerous roads/intersections for snow & ice, matusiak, 02/01/2007