internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] LP to MP3 conversion

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Karches <tkarches AT imapmail.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] LP to MP3 conversion
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:23:16 -0500

jim AT neuse.net wrote:
I'm looking at some vintage vinyl that I'd love to digitize. Who made that
turntable you recommend? My turntable has that wow and flutter thang gwine
on. I can't see letting the Jefferson Airplane, Buffalo Springfield, Neil
Young, Yes et al going to the musical graveyard.

This is a bit more trouble, but if you already have a turntable, I would get a Griffin iMic :

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

and plug a regular turntable into that. Included Final Vinyl (Mac only software) will allow RIAA equalization (necessary) to be post-processed against the recorded audio.

If you don't want to apply the equalization in Final Vinyl, you'll need a phono preamp. I built one of these :

http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/product/view/?id=350492

it cost about $15. Run it off batteries to avoid hum.

Or you can connect the turntable to your receiver (if it has phono in) and connect the iMic through one of the Tape outputs on the

As for turntables, I bought my Technics direct drive at Goodwill for $12. I've seen them at the Raleigh Flea Market for $20 (thats where I got a Technics direct drive turntable for someone else). You'll likely get a much better turntable than the USB one.

Target sells a Sony turntable for $99 :

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1169575348/ref=sr_1_1/601-0941150-4188122?ie=UTF8&asin=B00005T3XH

This one for $69 appears to be the same as the Target one :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006HO3O/ref=pd_cp_e_title/002-9220320-7744001

Or get something nicer. A better turntable will give you better results.

The nice thing about getting the USB iMic interface separately is that you can use it for other stuff (connecting speakers, audio recording).

I have used the Final Vinyl software and it works well. You could also use something like Audacity.

--Tom