internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] netbios name resolution

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Jim Ray" <jim AT neuse.net>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] netbios name resolution
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:30:57 -0500

Why don’t you map drives with the net use command and save map.bat in your startup folder?  Browsing in Windows in not an exact science even if you do have a server for the master browser.

Here’s an example:

rem map user shares

net use i: \\ CSPMEDIA\share1 /persistent:no

net use j: \\ CSPMEDIA\share2 /persistent:no

net use k: \\ WALDENPOND\share3 /persistent:no

net use l: \\ WALDENPOND\share4 /persistent:no

net use lpt1: \\ WALDENPOND\printer /persistent:no

There’s nothing wrong with substituting the IP address for the host name.  You might get better results with host names if firewalls are off.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Ray, President
Neuse River