internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] thunderbird

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: stan AT stanbriggs.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] thunderbird
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:42:00 -0500

Ah-ha!  I sense a disconnect here.

Ok, you mentioned IMAP and dovecot but then confused me by mentioning sending e-mail.  I was
confused because IMAP and dovecot don't have anything at all do to with sending of e-mail.
Sending e-mail, also known as SMTP, is handled by a MTA (Mail Transport Agent) which
in your case I'm going to guess will either be postfix or sendmail (but could possibly be
exim too).  The first question I have is this: have you configured your MTA to allow
authenticated relaying?  If you haven't, then it won't work at all.  If you have, continue
below to my questions:

Under the "Tools"->Account Settings menu again, select the "Outgoing Server (SMTP)"
line in the left column, then select server on the right and click the "Edit" button.  Now,

1. Are "Use name and password" selected?
2. What do you have for "Use secure connection"?
3. What is the port?

This should help us answer why things aren't working.

Cheers,
Tanner