internetworkers - [internetworkers] NC spammer gets 9 years in prison

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] NC spammer gets 9 years in prison
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 11:29:00 -0400

http://techdirt.com/articles/20060905/191230.shtml

** Fantastic news (if you hate spammers). **

Appeals Court Judges Sick Of Spam Too; Uphold Spammer Conviction

Last year, we were surprised that Jeremy Jaynes, admittedly one of the world's biggest spammers, received a nine-year prison sentence. While some form of punishment seemed reasonable (perhaps more for false advertising, than spam), nine years seemed excessive and silly. We'd much prefer forcing Jaynes to sit around deleting spam for a few years instead. Today, however, an appeals court upheld his conviction meaning he may finally begin the long, long sentence. The court specifically ruled that putting spammers in jail is "clearly not excessive." Perhaps it would be in the best interest of spammers to figure out how not to spam judges in the future.