internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] scanning for archive

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <markt AT siteseers.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] scanning for archive
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:01:43 -0400

Yes, avoid JPEGs. They are lossy. Not good for an archive. Go with TIFF.

I also recommend scanning at 600dpi if you are planning to do any OCR on it in the future. Some OCR packages don't accurately read at anything less than 600 dpi. (Then again, some OCRs don't read anything at ANY resolution!)

Cheers!
--
Mark
www.markturner.net

Simon Spero wrote:
This is a good starting place - http://www.fcla.edu/digitalArchive/ pdfs/recFormats.pdf

You might want to consider a lossless image format like TIFF; JPEG is smaller, but lossy

Simon