internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] multifunction printers

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] multifunction printers
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:30:47 -0400

Thomas --

I picked up a Canon PIXMA-MP800 last Fall, mostly with the intention of printing photos (just for fun -- not for professional work). If you start with a good image and print on Canon's photo papers the results are fairly decent (again, not exactly "pro" quality, but fun for giving instant photos to people).

My experience with the text printing is that the results are far below laser quality. From your description, I believe you really need to stick with a laser unit for the crispest possible text printing.

The PIXMA does fine for "non-career-essential" text printing, like notes or web pages, but the bleed and pixilation are obvious. When printing out a Google Maps or Mapquest results page, it looks like there was a war between the color cartridges. (And your print-out lost.)

The scanner seems to work excellent, FWIW. Altho the bundled software is rather dodgy. I usually resort to Photoshop for scanner importing needs.

Best,
dave m.