internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] GPS Question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Tanner Lovelace" <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] GPS Question
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:07:00 -0400

On 6/19/06, dave.m.parker AT gsk.com <dave.m.parker AT gsk.com> wrote:

I see now that the Tom Tom is just a receiver and needs to be attached to
something else for the display, which doesn't suit my needs. A little bit of
poking around led me to the Magellen eXplorist 200. Does anyone have any
opinons on that one?

Was out of town (geocaching in TN, among other things :-) when this
thread started
so apologies for getting to it late.

Magellen's are good GPS receivers, but I don't recommend them, primarily
because
I can't stand their interface. It takes way too many button presses
to get what you
want done. But, if it works for you, then yes, it is a good GPS
receiver and should
do everything you need it to.

Instead, though, I recommend Garmin receivers. You can get any of the older
non-color eTrex lines in your price range, I believe. I started geocaching
2.5 years ago with a Garmin eTrex Legend (the blue one) and found over 800
geocaches using that GPS receiver. I've since moved up to the Garmin
GPSMap 60C which, in addition to having a nice color display will do map
routing (although that requires another $100 software to enable correctly).
I've seen the 60C on amazon.com for as low as $250 on sale, but it generally
runs in the $350 range (retail price is $450). But, check amazon.com since
they have a wide variety of GPSes like

Garmin eTrex (Yellow), $85 - http://tinyurl.com/r4rz5
Garmin eTrex Legend (Blue), $120 - http://tinyurl.com/reshr

But, if I were you, I'd probably suggest the Garmin GPS 60 at $161.

http://tinyurl.com/rzgtn

The advantage it has over the eTrex line is its antenna. While the eTrex
line will certainly work, if you turn it upside down (or have it's lanyard
around your neck) you will lose the satellite signal. The GPS 60 has
an antenna similar to FRS radios and it can receive the satellite signals
MUCH better than the patch antenna the eTrexes use.

If you want a lot more information about GPS receivers, including, perhaps
people in the area who might have older, extra ones they want to get
rid of, check out the NC Geocachers forums at http://www.ncgeocachers.org/
(Note, I believe they require an account to post to the forums.)

Cheers,
Tanner Lovelace
--
Tanner Lovelace