internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Hard Drive Recovery Help!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Hard Drive Recovery Help!
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:04:43 -0400

On 05/26/06 11:21 AM, "Michael Czeiszperger" <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
wrote:

> On May 26, 2006, at 7:20 AM, Calvin Powers wrote:
>
>> We took it to a recovery person who was unable to get anything off if it.
>> He said he thinks the arm is moving back and forth over the media disk, but
>> either can't or doesn't know where to engage the disk.
>>

> If the arm isn't moving there's no easy way to get the data that I know of.
> I'm curious to see if a data recovery firm has a way to get around this...
> perhaps they could remove the actual media section from the broken drive and
> place that in a working drive?  In any event it doesn't sound cheap...

I believe that is exactly what they do (though in a clean room). I believe
David Pouge wrote about the experience of using Drive Savers (?) in his NYT
column a few months ago.

David

--
DesignHammer Media Group, LLC : 919.544.0086 : http://www.designhammer.com