internetworkers - [internetworkers] Open source and unicode help for a non-profit?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: wuzzled AT nc.rr.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Open source and unicode help for a non-profit?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:14:07 -0400

I have a friend, Trish Perkins, who has started a non-profit called
Worlds Touch (worldstouch.org), through which she hopes to use her
growing tech skills along with her many many years of experience in
travel to help nonprofits in developing countries with their tech
needs. She sent me an email this morning seeking someone who would be
willing to email her back and forth with a bit of advice about moving
entirely to open source software and maintaining the Khmer language on
the site. This is outside of my areas of ability, so I'm passing on what
she's told me. If anyone might be willing to help her out, please let me
know!

Here's all the info:

She's currently working for Open Forum, an NGO in Phnom Penh. The web
site that does their weekly press review uses a custom-built ASP/SQL
Server content management system where their coordinator posts a news
roundup each day.

They're interested in moving everything to open source, and she's tasked
with looking into the potential problems and creating to-do list for
doing so.

She tells me they have a guy who knows about Drupal, and so she's
investigating making their CMS work in Drupal, but it means first moving
to MySQL. That part isn't hard, but she says she's worried about the
stored procedures (which she knows nothing about and doesn't understand
in any way) the site uses.

Her other question is about putting the Khmer language on the site.
Directly from her:

This is the Community Information Web Portal site. Look at it in IE to
see the cool embedded Khmer fonts ABC and Limon.
http://www.cambodiacic.org/

This is the Open Forum site, which is already running on open source,
using Linux and Drupal: http://www.forum.org.kh/en/index.shtml

What they'd like to do is move the old embedded fonts into unicode, and
they'd like to have basically two sites, one embedded for the Windows 98
and below machines that don't support unicode and one unicode for the XP
machines that do.

Thanks!
Ruth