internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What do you do when your Mac locks up?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What do you do when your Mac locks up?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:44:25 -0400

On Apr 12, 2006, at 9:27 AM, Tony Spencer wrote:

I've been a Mac convert for a few weeks now and I'm a bit disappointed with
its stability. About once a week something hangs up and I can't do
anything.

As a Mac user since 1985, the most common cause of this is bad memory, usually caused by 3rd party sources, but not always.

The thing to do is boot from the diagnostic part of your install disk and then run a full battery of hardware tests. The apple diag program seems to find problems where other 3rd party programs can't.

On Poetry: People could like daffodils if they wanted to, but should not be allowed
to take up more than a page to say so. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC