internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Windows Networking Mystery!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Chris Grindstaff <chris AT gstaff.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Windows Networking Mystery!
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 12:47:49 -0500

Hello Calvin,
Do you by chance have "Simple File Sharing turned on" ? You can check
by opening a Windows explorer choosing Tools > Folder Options > View
and scroll to the very bottom of the tree.

I have no end of problems when Simple File Sharing is on so I always
turn it off.

According to
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040#XSLTH4120120127120121120120
there are a number of things affected by this option.

HTH,
Chris

CP> Howdy,

CP> I'm sure this is a very basic issue, but I don't know enough about Windows
CP> Networking/NetBios to understand how to fix it. Any advice would be
CP> appreciated.

CP> I have two computers the laptop and the desktop. For months (years?) I
have
CP> had no trouble doing windows networking with them. They are both running
XP.

--
Chris Grindstaff | http://gstaff.org