internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] stuck cd in powerbook

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] stuck cd in powerbook
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:40:50 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Paul Jones wrote:

I have Johnny Cash forever! Or so it seems. I went to digitize American
Recordings III and the CD stuck in my PowerBook G4. Using the various eject
procedures results in a tiny edge of the CD peeking at me for a fraction of a
second then disappearing. On the upside, I can listen to "I won't back down"
anytime I want too.

Is there an easy way for me to get the damn thing to eject -- or should I head
out to SouthPoint?

Things I've tried:
drag cd to wastebasket
pressing eject botton
holding function and pressing eject button
rebooting
rebooting with trackpad button held down

I believe that the cd is experiencing some kind of resistance and so backs
itself back into the player.

I solved a similar problem that's happened on my Apple Powerbook, as well as other slot-feed CD mechanisms, with a small set of needlenose pliers (strong tweezers would work as well), masking tape on the jaws to reduce scratching possibilities, and careful timing. The goal is to impede the retraction long enough to get a fingerpinch of the other hand on the protruding edge, then carefully pull until clear.

Oh, and in my experience, the problem is generally repeatable with the same CD and drive pair, so you may want to make sure you've finished ripping that CD or whatever so that you'll not have to ever put that CD into that drive again.

(Note: IANAAuthorized Apple Repair etc. etc. The above worked for me, and the drive's worked fine since. But that's my experience. If you act like Popeye and rip the mechanism out of the laptop in the process, I'm not warrantying the above as free from possibility of damage.)

regards,
Badger