internetworkers - [internetworkers] Sirius vs. XM

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Sirius vs. XM
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 13:50:04 -0500

So I am going to travel across the country (not quite all the way to
CA but still about 5K miles overall) this summer with my father on a
photo-taking trip.

I am looking into Sirius or XM for satellite radio in the car on the trip.

I've done some web research but am still looking for opinions.

Here's my discoveries so far, I'd appreciate any feedback anyone else
can offer...

* My 2005 Honda CRV is "XM Ready" so I can have it integrated into my
sound system. It costs 800 bucks at the dealership, but it looks like
it would be sweet to have it done by Honda and have it all set up.
The pros are that it would be part of the sound system and wouldn't
need to have an FM transmitter, the cons are the price and that it
would be for use in the car only - no taking the unit into the house
and putting it in a dock, for instance.

* If I were to NOT go with having XM integrated directly into the car
I'd like to get a unit that can fit into a car dock and a home dock
(which I want to put in the kitchen for when I'm cooking or eating
downstairs). Looking at the hardware, I think the XM stuff looks a
lot better and there are higher quality choices for XM than for
Sirius.

* Content - they seem to be almost the same in all the places I want
in terms of a wide variety of genres, but Sirius has one edge right
now - they have an NPR channel. XM does not. Yes, XM lured Bob
Edwards from NPR to do a show but it's not NPR shows and news.

In conclusion - where I'm at right now is that a friend has lent me
her XM car device with a little magnet antenna and FM transmitter
built into it, so I'm getting a taste for the device and the content.

I really, really like the XM content so far, which pleased me. I
found channels for genres I would really, really like to be able to
listen to - the 40's and 50's and also I found a "trance" station as
well.

Sports holds absolutely nothing for me, and I don't care about
personalities on the radio either.

I like the looks of the Sirius S50 unit, but it looks like
availability is limited, price is expensive and the reviews are WILDLY
mixed on this device.

I have not yet done a lot of reading on the XM Myfi device. Has
anyone here used one?

I am wondering with further releases of the S50 BIOS/Firmware upgrades
if reviews of that device will become more favaorable.

Any feedback, experience or comments welcomed...

Thanks!

Lyman

--
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off
the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the

  • [internetworkers] Sirius vs. XM, Lyman Green, 02/03/2006