internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] information on people who write HTML

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] information on people who write HTML
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:25:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Ann Marie wrote:
->I do the design side and don't wish to do the coding. Is it impractical to
->try to continue with HTML? Many of the Dreamweaver sites I visit do not
->maintain their visual integrity when I view them on my Mac in Explorer.
->That's been the benefit of the HTML, along with the fact that the woman I
->worked with was very good about working until she found the problems in the
->code that kept them from working on different browsers.

Dreamweaver is just a tool for people. If someone is using Dreamweaver to
create websites, they don't necessarily *not* know how to use HTML. I'm
fond of Dreamweaver as a means to an end but it's not the only means. I
think you are confusing "hand coding" with "website creation software".

However, I do find it interesting that your website's intro page has only
1 small line of actual text displayed on it ... and no reliable way of
telling what's a link or not w/o having to mouse over it. (I know, you
didn't ask for your own website to be critiqued, but there's my comment
anyway.)

->Last thing for now--has anyone worked with Contribute much? For clients with
->no knowledge of how web sites work, is it a reliable tool for doing updates?
->Does it work with sites written in HTML or do they need to be produced in
->Dreamweaver to have it work effectively?

I work with Contribute in a small intranet-updating situation and there is
still a certain amount of hand-holding that needs to be done on the user
end. It works with sites that aren't constructed with Dreamweaver though
Dreamweaver may "complain" about the way you put tags together, etc... We
don't have the most recent version of Contribute, which is 3.0, and that
has led to some known bug issues cropping up continually (subsequent
release has fixed most of them). The COntribute forum on macromedia.com is
an excellent source for information from an implemention and user
standpoint.

Cheers
KJ

"A photograph is neither taken nor seized by force. It offers itself up.
It is
the photo that takes you. One must not take photos." Henri
Cartier-Bresson
www.hungryphotographer.org || www.ibiblio.org/kelly || kelly<*>unc.edu