internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What type of English do you speak?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Chad Ingham <wap AT visi.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What type of English do you speak?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:04:09 -0400

BTW, to clarify, I never meant to imply that people who call carbonated sugar water are "hicks". So no offense meant to any of you "pop"ers out there. That little Floridian girl in my story did have that opinion and just happend to switch my vocabulary because of it due to her cute factor. Which I think is hilarious looking back on it. But my whole family would be hicks, too, if using the term "pop" was the sole criteria.

Personally, I don't mind being called a Yankee. I think it's funny. Even if someone meant it offensively, which I've never heard in that context, I'd still think it's funny. Long live the Union, Johhny Reb. ;)

- Chad

Scott G. Hall wrote:

I certainly don't consider myself a "hick". My family and I are from
the Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan area, and all I ever heard it
called was "pop". In fact, when I moved down here, I refused (and still
do) to call it "soda", and always ordered a pop from food places. Most
of the time I get questioned "what is that?", and I reply "that stuff
you drink that has all the popping bubbles in it".

I also have to object to calling us Midwesterners "Yankees". We are not!
And Upper Midwest (Canadian influenced) is considerably different from
the regular Midwest.

Oh, and a question I felt was missing:

When you are having "greens" with dinner, what are you eating?
a) A Salad (midwest)
b) Collared (south)
c) Vegetables: cucumber, broccoli, spinach, zucchini, etc. (California)

And then there is this question:

If you are eating a hot sandwich with deli meats and melted cheeze baked in
an oven with tomatoes and lettuse added after baking, you are eating a what?
a) Grinder (midwest)
b) Hoagie (yankee)
c) Hot Sub (elsewhere)

Also I would have categorized a slightly different set of labels:

Dixie
Midwesterner
Upper Midwesterner
Californian
Texan (Texas, Okl., New Mex.)
Yankee
New Yorkian (New Jersey/New York speak;
as opposed to high society "New Yorker")

You could label the last two: Upper Yankee and Middle Yankee

I find distinct differences in both pronunciations and colloquialism
for all seven regions. And I tend to only understand those from the
midwest.

On 28-Apr-2005 13:50 EDT, Tony Spencer wrote:

> Interesting. I never really heard a hick use that term.
> I have heard some good ole' boys refer to it as 'sody pop' although
> I think you'll only hear that from older folks these days.

{...}

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA