internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Recommendations for WYSIWYG HTML editor?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Recommendations for WYSIWYG HTML editor?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:05:41 -0500

On Feb 23, 2005, at 12:20 PM, David Minton wrote:

We use Dreamweaver over here.

I ordered Dreamweaver figuring "if its good enough for David, its good enough for me", which has been the start of another fun game of major company support hell. When I double-click on Dreamweaver the CPU load goes to 100%, and goes down and down until five minutes later the program crashes.

Start 8:30AM
1. Installed Dreamweaver.
2. Called "pro" tech. support, expecting to pay $99. I explain the problem and they tell me to call the "activation hotline".
3. The "activation hotline" is a touch tone phone app which wants you to type in the 5 digit code on your splash screen, which I obviously don't have, and there's no way to do anything else.
4. I call "pro" tech. support again. This time they tell me to install hotfix 13933, but hung up right after telling me this.
5. Hotfox 13933 didn't work, so I called "pro" tech. support again, only this time the phone line answers but no one picks up. This happens six times in a row before I give up.
6. I try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. No change.
7. Called "pro" tech support an hour later and get someone. They say they'll send me an email with instructions. It takes several minutes of repeating letters with the heavy accent: "No, is Z as in ZEBRA, not V.".
8. The email finally got here at 4PM, and it says to uninstall and then run the Macromedia "cleaner".

True, I'm home sick with the flu, and this is just about all I can do, but still.

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC USA