internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Google Video

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Google Video
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:11:14 -0500 (EST)

In reference to Evan Zimmerman's message:
> http://video.google.com/
>
> I know yahoo has this going on now too. I did a vanity search on
> "Evan" out of curiosity and it pulls down clips from various sitcoms
> etc that are running from any number of channels so ... Google is
> apparently recording a cross section of all tv channels all the time?
> Alan, surely now google has won your heart, right? ;-)

wow. Do I bitch enough that people remember I hate(d) Google? Hey, I'm
still impressed with Google Scholar -- http://scholar.google.com/

Seriously, though, this video thing makes me wonder... consider video
surveillance. Most of it is on a closed circuit, but I'm sure a fair
share of it is also ... not necessarily public, but, say, sniffable. Is
Google collecting that? Hell, some of it IS public: the DOT webcams for
RTP, for instance (poor example, but it comes to mind). Might there be a,
possibly surreptitious, picture of you stored at Google? And what of
surveillance expiry? What if the alert for So-n-So's surveillance webcam
states that images will be deleted after X period of time...? Unless
Google sucked them up, in which case the AI drones will be digging them
out of a glacier a thousand years from now. If an attorney suspects that
Google might have accessed or stored surveillance images that were
otherwise destroyed, can the Court subpoena Google or serve a warrant?

just brainstorming...
Alan