internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] why am I not surprised?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] why am I not surprised?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 16:35:50 -0500

Chad Ingham wrote:
> Okay, first, values/morals do not equal religion. I'll bet money you
> have values and you may not even be religious.

And unfortunately having religion doesn't equal having values or morality in
many cases.

> Let's get away from saying "Christian" values. It's not about any
> particular religion's values. The real issue is about anybody pushing
> their values on to someone else, regardless of the value's origin. Not
> that I care all that much but it only obfuscates the real issue.
>
> Now please clarify something for me. You said that there are no moral
> difference between a true Republic and a true Democrat. This statement
> throws me off. Abortion. Is this a moral issue?

Is killing innocent men, women and children in a war a moral issue?
Is lying to someone a moral issue?
Is lying to the country you lead a moral issue?
Where is the morality in lying to people about or denying them proper sex
education if it leads to an unwanted pregnancy and possibly an abortion?

And to answer your question. When it comes to a religious argument for
abortion, there is no argument that holds water. If religious people are
truly religious they should realize that a basic principle of most religions
is freedom of choice. God could have easily forced anyone into doing what
he wanted. Easily designed people so that it wasn't possible. Easily made
it something that killed you when you did it. I could go on and on. But
what the issue has now become is one of a group trying to impose thier
beliefs and morals on another...something God himself didn't do.

As for a moral argument, I guess I would side with you. I think abortion is
a moral issue. But I believe that imposing my view point on someone else is
also a moral issue.

Are there any people