internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] supporting democracy growth

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Sil Greene" <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Evan Zimmerman" <evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com>, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] supporting democracy growth
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:47:03 -0500 (EST)

Evan Zimmerman said:

> Where I differ, is
> a) believing it's our 'duty' to run around the world like johnny
> democracy-seed, spreading our good word with guns and bombs, and

Y'know, I just realized the [obvious] subtext to the Johnny Appleseed
legend. While the story tells of a fellow wandering around planting apple
orchards, I have a hunch the actual basis of the legend was primarily
planting seeds of another sort -- only incidentally was he dropping
apple cores where they might take root. In a similar twist of story
versus reality, our present foreign policy has us running around telling
everyone we're planting the fruits of a beautiful future, while in
actuality we're just fucking everyone in sight.

*ahem.*

Things to make you go hmmmm,
--s

  • Re: [internetworkers] supporting democracy growth, Sil Greene, 11/01/2004