internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] We are Missing the Big Picture

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Don Rua" <rua AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] We are Missing the Big Picture
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:56:26 -0400

> My faith in America has me hold to this: I know that the kernels of
> greatness that currently sits still within our hearts is waiting to be
> pricked by that one MLK type leader that will have us for a brief moment
in
> history really believe we can build that great society.
>
> Your thoughts?
> Steve

I think many are looking for a leader they can believe in, and are nearing
the point of whether it is possible to believe in another leader. It must be
someone who comes up primarily 'outside' of politics I believe, and voters
may small initial reactions that way with selections of Arnold and Ventura,
although I don't think Hollywood is where we will find the leader you are
describing.

Someone with a dose of MotherTheresa commitment to humanity, or MLK
experience with oppression, coupled with a legitimate dose of
business/political potential. Colin P has the minority and leadership
attributes, but has 'suffered' enough for nation-turning story. I just don't
think it can come from a white male, considering all of the hostility
towards that group these days.

Fantasizing: Given 20 more years of record hispanic immigration, I think a
vibrant, passionately speaking hispanic leader could rise with a theme of
uniting all of the North and South Americas into a co-hesive economic and
cultural powerhouse. If his/her spouse is Canadian-born and Judeo-Christian,
even stronger. Hopefully, they will preserve all of the individuality of the
separate countries and states, while reaping the global power of being the
leader of NATO and a double-continent full of resources. If he worked his
way up from an absolute hell-hole of a life in East LA, to MIT-Sloan or
Wharton on scholoarship, to lead a large California company, then a term as
governor, he might be just about ready. The one major deflater for me would
be if he had a lifelong plan to get there, ala Clinton. We want someone who
didn't ask for the job too much, but certainly earned it.