internetworkers - [internetworkers] Law of Politics and Money

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Law of Politics and Money
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 19:04:36 -0400 (EDT)

Non-profits can't endorse candidates? Wow, so I've obviously had my head
in the sand, because this is news to me. Why the hell is that? I mean,
my gut knee-jerk interpretation is that only monetarily-motivated groups
are allowed to be involved in politics ... which is obvious and sad.

? :\
-Alan

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/latimests/20041029/ts_latimes/irsinvestigatingnaacpforcriticismofpresident

original at (requires login; try http://www.BugMeNot.com/):
http://www.latimes.com/news/yahoo/la-na-naacp29oct29,1,5729200.story

IRS Investigating NAACP for Criticism of President

Fri Oct 29, 7:55 AM ET
By Lisa Getter Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service (news - web sites) has informed
the NAACP that it is investigating whether the civil rights organization
improperly "intervened in a political campaign" when it posted on its
website a speech by Chairman Julian Bond that condemned the Bush
administration's policies.

Under the law, nonprofit groups cannot endorse candidates, contribute
money or raise funds for them or "distribute statements for or against a
particular candidate."

Even encouraging people to vote for a particular candidate "on the basis
of nonpartisan criteria" violates tax laws. The federal tax code also says
that organization leaders cannot make "partisan comments" at official
events.

  • [internetworkers] Law of Politics and Money, Alan MacHett, 10/29/2004