internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Z and Dan responses

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: rua AT mindspring.com
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Z and Dan responses
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:31:50 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Evan,

I think you summed up my response well enough. I'm not sure where I come down
on the ethics and "best course" of it at this point. I do worry that there
are decisions that need to be made, that the populace may never have the
courage as a group to make. I think that is part of the reason for a
representative goverment. We pick the person of certain ideologies and
character, and then they make the decisions they feel they must.

i.e. Truman dropping the Hbomb was probably one of the most significant
events in the history of man. Should he have floated the idea out as trial
balloons, or even more directly presented the proposal to the people? I'm
sure many will differ on that count, but I'm not sure where I come out. I
think "strategy by popular opinion" could be a plan for failure in a serious
game of world security.

Don