internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] 7-11-ification of America

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] 7-11-ification of America
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:24:06 -0400 (EDT)

In reference to:
> http://cornwall.backtalk.com/articles/the-7-11-ification-of-politics/
>
> .... As I write this, I wonder if there?s a solution for America. My gut
> tells me that the answer may be no. The problem, I?ve come to believe,
> is that America has gotten too big to govern properly anymore. I hope
> I?m wrong, but I?m not sure I am.

Some discussions/debates ago, I mentioned I believe that power in the US
should revert not just to the States but to localities even more. I
believe someone else on the list made a comment about having thoughts on
that, but didn't elaborate.

I had once wanted to be an anthropologist. I still lean heavily toward
that brief training. Humankind is a social species, but the term social
applies to a group of only so many. We evolved in groups of tens or
hundreds, not millions. At some point, what we call society is just a
bunch of strangers. It's why different chimpanzee troops fight. It's why
tribes throughout history have fought, why it has usually required
conquering Emperors to yoke them together. It's why nationalism is still
so rampant.

...it's late and I really should be in bed. I'm losing my train of
thought. I think you get the idea. It sounds like I think we should give
Confederacy another try, but I'm not sure that's quite right, although it
seems to have worked for Switzerland...

'nite,
Alan