internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Phreakiphrack

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <markt AT siteseers.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Phreakiphrack
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 09:23:25 -0400

Alan MacHett wrote:

This is purely a mental exercise for me. I'm curious to know at what
distance (measured by infrastructure, not lateral increments) a
line-originated call is jumped to microwave or other "air" transmission.

Nowadays few, if any, calls go through the air. It's all fiber now. I think AT&T operates the last microwave towers. Or did, anyway. Now they're out of the long-distance business.

Conversely, is there any point at which a cell-originated call switches to
land lines (when not actually calling a land line number)?

Check this page out for a description:
http://www.telecomwriting.com/Cellbasics/Cellbasics.html

And finally,
depending on the distance of the call and its originating demographics
(number of carriers in the area), how many different carriers'
infrastructures are being traversed?

It's pretty much:

originating telecom -> ld-service (or VoIP) -> terminating telecom.

Every time a call is delivered to another telecom, money changes hands due to the way the tariffs work. This encourages efficiency, as you might imagine. :)

There are lots of good telecom resource pages on the Net. Here are a few of my favorites:

http://www.telecomwriting.com/index.html
http://www.dmine.com/phworld/
http://www.bellsystemmemorial.com/

--
Mark Turner
www.markturner.net

  • Re: [internetworkers] Phreakiphrack, Mark Turner, 08/03/2004