internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] nc.rr.com

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David R.Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers:http"@happyhouse.metalab.unc.edu://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/ <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] nc.rr.com
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:27:18 -0500

I have a question for anyone using EARTHLINK cable modem service:

Since that service is basically provisioned over existing RR/TWC/AOL lines, when RoadRunner is experiencing problems, do they effect you as well?

I know Earthlink runs their own DNS/mail/news servers and that they have (supposedly) better performance, but I still cannot envision a scenario where their leased lines are impervious to whatever problems are evident in RoadRunner's service.

I would love to hear any and all opinions on this topic, as I have been seriously considering a move to Earthlink cable modem (mostly as a cost-saving measure). However, I don't want to sacrifice service levels or step into a situation riddled with problems. After reading Sarah's account below (and remembering my own previous headaches with RR's lackluster DNS service - which have supposedly been fixed!) I would pay anything to avoid such hassles.

Thanks!
dave m.