internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] cellphone deadzone map

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] cellphone deadzone map
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:04:49 -0500 (EST)

.:> Man, would I love to have one of these for this area:
.:>
.:> New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has set up a system that allows
.:> citizens to report dead zones in wireless coverage throughout the
.:> city. He plans to publish a map of the dead spots on November 24, the
.:> first day for wireless local number portability.
.:
.:How hard could it be? We could set up an SMS or WAP interface so that
.:people could use their cell phones to... oh, wait... nevermind.

Nononono, that would work. Umm. You'd just have to wait until you were
out of the dead zone before sending.

I mean, any modern messaging system lets you queue a message for sending
later, right? Or do you get that feature only with the Windows XP For
Cellphones' version of Outlook SMS?

(yes, i have an SMS/WAP capable phone, and no, i have no idea how or if it
works that way... all i know how to do with my phone's SMS is delete
the messages from my voicemail.)

--sil

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)