internetworkers - [internetworkers] off topic Blues

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Edward Wesolowski <edwes AT idisplay.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] off topic Blues
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 09:35:17 -0400

...just a heads up and some thoughts:
Have any INW'ers been watching the "Blues" series on PBS?
http://www.pbs.org/theblues/aboutfilms/aboutfilms.html
I like this, real good production values, real good content. These type of music/blues history/documentary programs are usually pretty chump, so I was more than pleasantly surprised to see this one; very nicely done. I personally like focus on Delta Blues, (which, to me is the "blues") from Charlie Patton to Chicago, I mean Robert Johnson, Son House, Blind Willie Johnson, Skip James, etc. Bonnie Raitt made a couple of appearance. Cassandra Wilson, interesting clip too.
Besides the appearances (archival & recent of many notables, the productions themselves are worth it.

some highlights: Martin Scorsese directed the first episode, "Feel Like Going Home."

Wim Wenders, directred the second, "The Soul of a Man." I became a minor Wenders fan after seeing "Paris Texas." Ry Cooder did the sound track. btw, I heard an interview once w/Ry Cooder, said he got the idea for the "Paris Texas" sound track from a slide thing that Blind Willie Johnson did, a sort of "music of the spheres" Willie Johnson instrumental. I found it on a reissue CD. I see what Ry Cooder was talking about.

And Clint Eastwood, he directed the "Piano Blues" film. Whether you're an Eastwood fan or not, his interest in Jazz sure seems 180 degrees from Dirty Harry! Eastwood produced a documentary on Thelonius Monk called "Straight No Chaser." He also directed "Bird" about Charlie Bird.

I was surprised by the series, nicely, interestingly done documentary. Worth seeing, especially for blues fans.
Ed Wesolowski