internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] the boonies distance ed.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Edward Wesolowski <edwes AT idisplay.com>
  • To: machett AT ibiblio.org, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] the boonies distance ed.
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:24:46 -0400

>Web Classes Delivered to the Hinterlands
I did see this in the N&O. On one hand it sounded a tad convoluted, schlepping a truck, w/laptops and a satellite dish (to an unwired rural location), and setting up to receive a distance ed class(es).... On the other, though, it seemed an interesting way to beat bricks & mortar and copper.

...pluses and minuses, all in all, tho, I've got to believe that it must be great for the people who can have access to courses where they couldn't before. I wonder, is it well subscribed?

Ed W.

http://www.triangle.com/triangle.com/story/2892813p-2664474c.html

Wednesday, September 24, 2003
Web Classes Delivered to the Hinterlands
By Vicki Lee Parker, Staff Writer

"Realizing that it would take too long to wait for the state to wire these
remote areas, the college went in a different direction. It outfitted a
van with a satellite dish, the latest technology, a computer network
server and 24 laptop computers. It started taking the Internet to its
students."

--Alan