internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] FCC, Media Ownership hearing, Monday

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Virginia Ingram" <virginia AT virginiaingram.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] FCC, Media Ownership hearing, Monday
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 21:49:08 -0500 (EST)

I would encourage everyone who believes in locally operated media to attend
this event, it is a really big deal.

In case you are unfamiliar with what this will mean, here is a description
one of my fellow DJ's at WXDU wrote:
The loosening of regulations would make it even easier for companies like
Clear Channel to own more stations in a given market. Stations that are
owned by a large, national corporation, and which receive the bulk of their
programming via satellite feeds that are the same in every city, lose their
local flavor, put local radio people out of jobs, and have completely
changed the face of commercial radio as compared to how it was in the 70's
and 80's.

If anyone would like any more information on the event, please go to:
http://www.reclaimthemedia.org,
http://indyweek.com/durham/current/cover.html, or http://www.wxdu.org.

Best Regards,
Virginia

> fyi:
> There's an FCC Media Ownership public hearing at Duke Law School on
> Monday, 3/31/03
> Time: 12:30-5:00 p.m.
> Location: Room 3043
> http://www.law.duke.edu/laweventcalendar.html
>
> This .pdf file lists an agenda for the session
> http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-232533A1.pdf.
>
> Here's an interesting quote I keep seeing from FCC Chair, Michael
> Powell
>>Of public interest he has said he is "without a clue" about what he's
>>supposed to be protecting. "The night after I was sworn in, I waited
>>for a visit from the angel of the public interest, but she did not
>>come," he mused. "I... have had no divine awakening and no one has
>>issued me my public interest crystal ball."
>
> http://www.digitaldividenetwork.org/content/stories/index.cfm?key=268
>
> Ed Wesolowski
>
> "Our Political system was designed when the total U.S. population was
> 3.9 million, horseback was fastest way to travel, and shouting was
> about as far as a person could be heard."

> http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/ You are currently subscribed to
> InterNetWorkers mailing list

Virginia Ingram
http://www.virginiaingram.com