internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] TechEngage

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: BigLee Haslup <biglee AT haslups.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] TechEngage
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 12:46:30 -0500

I know someone who works with the guy who set up TechEngage and I am sure that it is on the up-and-up. How well it all comes together remains to be seen -- but it is definitely an honest effort to do something helpful and it does look promising.

I am signed up for the Java track. I forked over the 95 bucks and committed to do the 40 hours of computer-related community service. There has been some discussion in the local Java community about the Java track at TechEngage which is rather low-level compared to some of the other Microsoft-centered technology tracks. I will admit that I would have liked an offering in the Java track for some more advanced (and in-demand) technologies. I have worked as a Java developer for about four years and much of the material covered in the introductory course will be review for me. But, as a self-taught Java coder who learned the language on-the-job doing web applications there are a few gaps in my experience that the class might help me smooth over. Besides, review is good and the price is right.

As for the community service commitment, one of two things will happen: Either TechEngage will find enough work for all the participants to do a week in the Computer Literacy Outreach and Digital Divide areas or something like that (good networking opportunities all,) or they won't find enough community service work and the amount of work the participants wind up doing will be reduced. I rather hope they can find useful stuff for us to do but I am OK either way

If you are interested, the URL is www.techengage.org and there was a display ad in the computer technology employment classified in Sunday's N&O. (The ad doesn't mention the Java track but I am told that spaces are still available.)

Lee